WHAT IT IS?
Cryolipolysis, also known as “fat freezing” or by the product name CoolSculpting, is a new procedure that involves the non-invasive cooling of body fat to break down fat cells, resulting in a reduction of body fat without damage to other tissues. The effect takes several months to be seen.
WHO NEEDS IT?
Patients who wish to reduce a localized fat bulge that has persisted despite diet and exercise may be interested in cryolipolysis.
HOW IT’S DONE?
- The doctor asseses the dimensions and shape of the fatty bulge to be treated, an applicator of the appropriate size and curvature is chosen.
- The area of concern is marked to identify the site for applicator placement.
- A gel pad is placed to protect the skin.
- The applicator is applied and the bulge is vacuumed into the hollow of the applicator.
- The temperature inside the applicator drops, and as it does so, the area numbs.
- Patients sometimes experience discomfort from the vacuum’s pull on their tissue, but this resolves within minutes, once the area is numb.